Theme-of-the-Day is a daily post where we ask readers to leave their summer camp ideas, using the day’s theme, in the comments section. What ideas and suggestions do you have for the Theme of the Day? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
Around the World in 80 Days
As always I will kick off the theme with five suggestions. Then it’s your turn to leave your awesome suggestions and ideas in the comments area below.
- Set-up areas that represent different countries. If that seems like a lot of work for one specific day then “travel” to a different country or two each day. Try to have a food item or two that the campers can taste that are authentic, or close to authentic, to that country. Please no Vegemite.
- With a search on Google you can find games that kids play in other countries. As your campers visit each country, have the counselors lead traditional games from the “hosting country”.
- Music touches the soul and each country has a type of music that represents them. Get a CD or two of international tunes and play the appropriate music for each country. Head over to Amazon for world music. They even have some free samplers to download.
- Don’t forget the crafts. I found a site that has some great craft ideas for different countries. International Crafts
- Teach the campers some phrases in the language of the country your visiting. If the country you “traveled” to speaks English then have a contest where the campers try out their best accent using a specific phrase…Australia – “Let’s put another shrimp on the barbie.”
For more ideas see my post Around the World in 80 Days at RecreationGuy.com.