Theme-of-the-Day is a daily post where we ask readers to leave their summer camp ideas, using the day’s theme, in the comments section. What ideas and suggestions do you have for the Theme of the Day? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
As always I will kick off the theme with five suggestions.
- You have to do a treasure hunt. Create a treasure map for each group. X marks the spot. You can get parchment paper at any office supply store to give it some pizazz. Have the campers search for treasure chests or gold nuggets (rocks painted with gold spray paint).
- Pirate feasts are meals with no silverware/utensils allowed. Have finger foods, soup and bread. This is the only meal where burping out loud may be over looked.
- Themed crafts like pirate hats, jeweled necklaces and paper mache parrots would be good.
- Have a camp PA system? Have “Captain (whoever)” make the announcements and Polly the Parrot chime in with wise cracks. Oh, and get the Disney soundtrack that has the music from the rides and attractions so you can play the music from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
- Instead of playing Capture the Flag play Capture the Black Pearl. Same game, different name.